Monday 11 October 2010

Itap 2nd lecture


Through the ‘visual practice’ of observation, collecting, studying and exploring, illustration can contribute to a deeper understanding of the subject.
A Deeper understanding of a subject matter can only be found through research and experimentation. The two main research-starting points are secondary and primary. Secondary is where I would research images in the library or on the net, I may also see what other artists have done for the subject that I’m doing. With Primary I would go out and capture images that are relevant to the subject I’m studying or I would go out and do a questionnaire and find out what the audience wants, as they are the people who will be looking and understanding my work.
From these images I (and many other artists) I would experiment with different styles, mainly that of other artist that I researched in my secondary research. This would then develop my own style and bring about a new understanding and way of depicting the topic.
By looking at all of this it heightens my understanding of the subject, which means that I’ll be able to relay the intended idea and emotions onto the audience.
An understanding and knowledge of ‘an audience’ can enhance and focus the communication.
It is very important to understand your audience as these people are going to be the ones who critic your work, and are the ones who wont know you intended thoughts. So your have to find a way for your intended audience to understand and to appreciate your work for what you intended it for.
By just working for your self and producing a good piece of art may not work for your audience, this has happened to an graphic designer before who worked for Granada TV where he produced a piece of work which was award winning but for the client and the intended audience wasn’t successful at all. This just goes to show that if you don’t keep your intended audience in mind your piece wont sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment